School Board Approves Phase Into Learning Model of Instruction + Tentative Timeline
Last night, the Wauwatosa School Board approved the District’s recommendation to maintain the hybrid model of instruction for Phase Into Learning through November 24, 2020. The earliest day students would return for five-day-per-week classroom instruction is Tuesday, December 1, 2020.
The School Board considered several key pieces of information in making this decision, including:
- COVID-19 cases continue to climb in Wauwatosa and other areas where our staff and students live, as evidenced by the District’s COVID-19 dashboard.
- The District has seen increasing COVID-19 cases in schools, and it has been required to quarantine additional students and staff members. Currently, there are 12 staff members and 64 students quarantined across the District.
- Staff quarantines and absences have caused the District to shift teaching resources between schools.
- If additional staff quarantines occur, it will become increasingly difficult for the District to maintain in-person instruction - even in a hybrid model of instruction - due to a statewide shortage of substitute teachers.
- At this time, the District will be challenged to adhere to physical distancing recommendations and maintain six feet between students with full classroom attendance.
- The District has received positive feedback from staff, students and families regarding the current hybrid model of instruction.
- Maintaining consistency in the model of instruction and minimizing back-and-forth shifts between models is critical to the mental health of staff, students and families.
- The District’s primary priority continues to be the health and safety of its students and staff members.
The District presented a proposed timeline for the coming months, with key dates as follows:
October 26 - School Board Meeting
District to present Phase Into Learning Five-Day-Per-Week Plan.
November 9 - School Board Meeting
Board to vote on Phase Into Learning model of instruction to begin on December 1, 2020.
November 10-13 - Elementary Instruction Selection Window
Elementary parents to select Phase Into Learning, Tosa Connected or WVA for their student’s second trimester learning.
December 1 - Second Trimester Begins; Five-Day-Per-Week Classroom Instruction May Begin
Elementary students will learn in the model of instruction chosen during the Nov. 10-13 selection window. All students enrolled in Phase Into Learning and Tosa Connected may begin five-day-per-week instruction, pending Board approval.
December 1-3 - Secondary Instruction Selection Window
Secondary parents to select Phase Into Learning, Tosa Connected or WVA for their student’s second semester learning.
January 25 - Second Semester Begins
Secondary students will learn in the model of instruction chosen during the Dec. 1-3 selection window.
February 1-3 - Elementary Instruction Selection Window
Elementary parents to select Phase Into Learning, Tosa Connected or WVA for their student’s third trimester learning.
March 8 - Third Trimester Begins
Elementary students will learn in the model of instruction chosen during the Feb. 1-3 selection window.
Full schedule details can be found here. Please note that this is a tentative timeline, and dates are subject to change. Additional information will be provided via email and will be posted on our Reopening Page as it becomes available.