EARLY VOTING IS NOW OPEN THROUGH FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 2.
Avoid the lines and vote early in-person/absentee. Registered voters may vote absentee by mail or at the municipal clerk's office between the above dates. Please call your clerk's office to confirm times.
NEW: VIEW REFERENDUM NEWSLETTER (Mailed to all residents October 2018)
HOW DID WE GET HERE?
The Wauwatosa School District completed a comprehensive audit of its 14 facilities in 2016. In 2017, a community-based Facilities Advisory Committee began extensive research and exploration of options to address the findings and gather broad community input. In response to this work, in August 2018, the School Board unanimously recommended a facilities referendum for a community vote on November 6.
What is on the Ballot?
The proposed facilities referendum includes work at all District schools, with an emphasis on the most significant needs at the elementary school buildings. This will include new construction and renovation of four elementary schools with the greatest identified needs; and priority
projects District-wide including:
- Safety & Security Upgrades
- Building Maintenance & HVAC Systems Improvements
- Classroom/Lab Updates - Technical Education Upgrades
- ADA Accessibility Updates
Total not-to-exceed referendum: $124.9 million.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 73% of community survey respondents support exploring a facilities referendum. A majority support a facilities referendum of at least $125 million.
- The average age of District schools is 73.5 years old; the oldest will be 100 years old next year.
- The last facilities referendum was 25 years ago. The District is now debt-free.