Diversity & Equity
The Wauwatosa School District is committed to fostering an inclusive community in which the opportunity gap is closed and ALL students succeed.
Over the past couple of years, the District has worked diligently in the area of equity:
- Adding a Supervisor of Equity
- Creating new Equity Coordinator roles and Instructional Coaches focused on equitable practices and;
- Implementing a successful plan to increase participation of ALL students in our most rigorous Advanced Placement courses.
But to close the achievement gap, an objective in our five-year strategic plan, we must do more. In 2017 the District created a team of staff, administrators, teachers, and parents to identify specific areas we can improve and/or create equity. The team then developed an equity plan to guide the District's efforts in this area for the next two years (2018-2020).
The purpose of the District's Equity Plan is to ensure students, staff, and families, and community members of all cultures and perspectives are provided an environment and resources necessary for our students to reach their greatest potential.
Action steps will support the following five core objectives of the Wauwatosa School District Equity Plan:
- Empower all students to achieve their own academic vision/goals and encourage excellence in education for all.
- Increase Cultural awareness/competency of all teachers, administrators, and staff.
- Ensure welcoming, safe, inclusive, and equitable school environments for all.
- Recruit, hire and retain teachers, administrators, and staff of color.
- Strengthen parent and community partnerships.